Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Moving Down Under

Does anyone understand how you know when you’ve not had a job for way too long? It’s when twice in one day, you get separate emails from separate friends saying apply to this right here.

That could be the entire thought for the day, I could just leave it at that, but hey – I’ve got nothing better to do, other than apply to The World’s Greatest Job. And let’s be honest, you know and I know that I’ll be sending some materials to somebody important.

Funny thing is, and one of the guys who sent it to me already knew, I’ve stayed on an island about a quarter mile from where this “Great Barrier Reef Media Dude” would be posting up. The gig is on Hamilton Island, which my catamaran pulled up to for a few hours one afternoon. Everyone gets around on golf carts … it’s the most touristy spot in the tropical fantasy of the Whitsunday Islands off the northeast coast of Australia.

This little stop during the greatest five-month span of my life “studying abroad” in Sydney (early ’04) has led me to this moment, where destiny could lead me back there. Think about it, what a Hollywood narrative that would be. It’s the opposite of “Castaway” where I would just be livin’ the dream, after getting tossed from a career covering high school sports in the middle of Indiana. How does this not work out for me?

OK, now that that’s settled, let’s get on to some Big Ten buckets. Essentially, I offer some observation from afar … I’ve watched a handful of games, caught parts about every team, and this is really the first year in quite a while where I’ve had some interest in the conference.

Much like in football, Big Ten hoops has been noticeably below average for an extended period of time. And b-ball can’t survive a bad product the way football can – just ask the Illini, where despite being 14-2, they haven’t been able to fill Assembly Hall for most of the season. And the terribly constructed Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., has been a melting pot for pure stink all season and IU has shut down the upper tank, I’ve heard. But you can be sure all those mouth breathers will be back next season with the Hooisers’ top five class coming in.

Looking at the standings and all the team records is a little bit of a tease, which I could make an analogy for that would probably be inappropriate. I’m not even close to being sold on Illinois, Ohio State, Penn St., and even Wisconsin somewhat. Not to mention Michigan, who despite some really sexy wins, still seem to not show up sometimes (Re: overtime win over Indiana).

The A-Rod Award for “Most disappointing in big games” goes to Purdue, who really just has been disappointing all around. But I still think my guy Matt Painter can turn this thing around if they get healthy and lose the “We think we’re better than we are” attitude by the tourney. I like Painter … he’s really one of the few that can pull off the glossy slicked back look. I respect that.

Which brings me to the two teams I see as the front runners so far – the two scratch golfers who aren’t getting any strokes. One is a mainstay, Michigan State, but the sleeper is the Go-phers (long ‘o’) and the one and only Tubby Smith. If you think the guy can’t coach, you’re wrong. If they can win some close games down the stretch, I just like the way they play from the little snips I’ve seen.

Here is the other thing I’m really starting to be impressed by in the Big Ten: the coaches. Being a maize and blue guy, I can’t help but start to develop some feelings for John Beilein. I know Iowa sucks, but I watched most of that game Sunday (and unexpected part of the 36 hours of viewing pleasure) and Michigan’s zone defense is kinda fun to watch. That’s not to mention the aforementioned Smith and Painter, to go along with Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, the golden brown toned Tom Crean, and Thad Matta. That’s leaving out Mr. High Pitch at Illinois, who is a decent coach himself (just can’t recruit). What about Todd Lickliter? Hmmm … not exactly sold on him.

But that’s a pretty good list of coaches, right? I’d put that up against any conference, but I think the Big East would take ‘em partly due to shear numbers. The talent in the Big Ten still needs to get better, which it’s starting to, but better coaches help attract that. Especially when they’ve got nice hair like Painter, a nice tan like Crean, and solid dance moves like Ryan.

1 comment:

  1. So did you apply?
    This job is made for you sit around do nothing and blog about it. It is basicly your current life in one of the top locations in the world. plus a pay check. Let me restate you get a pay check.

    ReplyDelete