Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lots of viewing pleasure

This past weekend, I went to my brother’s apartment on the north side of Chicago for 36 hours of Sony Bravia NFL Playoff Viewing, and a few libations as well. Sony didn’t sponsor that lead to today’s Fun Car (I’m not quite there yet), but if the game is shot on a Sony, shouldn’t you be watching it on a Sony?

I say yes … and we were. Fifty-two inches of goodness, to be exact, and it was literally a two thirds upright position for the better part of that 36 hours. We did leave to go out Saturday night, but that was the exception to the rule.

Several comments and questions were thrown out, obviously, and the things discussed ranged from my brother literally conversing with James Brown during that Sony promo, to how short and squatty the Giants’ offensive line really is, to how unbelievably hot the brunette from "Gary Unmarried" is. Who is she? There's no research department here.

(Detour: Meanwhile, I went 0-4 on my bets and for my first and only official meltdown of the season, at the worst possible time and the worst possible weekend. I’m not losing cold hard cash, it’s just a rather expensive season-long pool. Yeah, that almost makes me feel better about it. I even went against my Arizona pick in last Wednesday’s column. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I’m just a dope. It was just a kick to the face really.)

One of the better conversations revolved around the odd torso shape of Ray Lewis, who is sporting a bit of a belly now at 34 years old. That got me thinking the Middle Linebacker Belly was more of a trend rather than just Ray.

Let’s think about it. Being holed up here in Indy, the first guy who came to mind was Gary Brackett. That is the shortest and pudgiest NFL linebacker I’ve personally ever seen, both in pads and out of pads. Back in my valet parking days, the guy stepped out of his SUV and I wouldn’t have know the difference if Marlin Jackson wasn’t getting out of the Escalade behind him. Seriously, I’m 5-9 and I was eye to eye with Brackett, and my gut was not much bigger.

Then, watching the Giants-Eagles snooze fest, I was reminded of the little pouch that Antonio Pierce is carrying. Is three a trend? And is there any explanation for this, other than the fact that they eat burritos at 3 a.m. a couple times a week? More important, add to the list if you think you have a linebacker guilty of this infraction.

Mojo Risin’

If you’ve ever seen the episode of “Family Guy” where Peter gets his own theme music, then this will make more sense. But still, don’t you think that some things just need theme music?

I can’t figure out why, but every once in a while, the process of doing a task has reminded me of a certain song … and it thus becomes theme music. This morning, I went online to check out the college hoops rankings this week and went to find the ButDogs at No. 17 in the AP and No. 18 in the Coaches’ Poll.

Then it hit me. The Doors have put out some classics, but this was a perfect fit for hearing Jim Morrison in the background, starting low and quiet into the crescendo …

“Mo-jo ri-sin’ … keep the mojo risin’ … mo-jo ri-sin’ … keep on risin’ … MO-JO RI-SIN’! … KEEP ON RI-SIN’! …RISIN’ RISIN’!”

No, I’m not on any psychedelics today. But yes, going to check the polls to see the ButDogs creep their way up now has its own theme music.

The only game I’ve missed all season was last Saturday’s “What the hell was that?” showing against Detroit, yet the ButDogs escaped at home. Just one of those games that doesn’t look good on paper, which frankly, most of the people voting only see most games on paper.

And you know, that’s exactly why the top-25 really doesn’t mean squat. How did that ranking work out for Butler last year? Got them a 7-seed. And that didn’t matter either. But, what I will say is that the ranking is one of the best things for the program. They can do things like have Brad Stevens ask in a radio commercial if the reason you like Butler basketball is because of “the consistent top-25 ranking.”

But on a more serious note, a top-25 ranking legitimizes a mid major program. If they can stay there consistently, which the ButDogs now have for the past two-plus years, then it puts them on a different level. It helps recruit a different kind of player … don’t kid yourself if you think “The Butler Way” is the top reason Shelvin Mack, Gordon Hayward, Matt Howard came to play at Hinkle.

After this season, pretty much no matter how deep this team goes in the tourney, you can put them right there with Gonzaga as the class of college basketball outside the power conferences. And I’m just using that as a classification, not in a demeaning way.

Tomorrow I’ll change it up a little and talk some Big Ten hoops and we’ll see what else. Trying to stick on the Monday-Wednesday-Friday, but man, sometimes the day just gets away from me.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, your replacement for the Detroit game was much easier to look at than you, at least. Hell, she was infinitely easier to look at than the garbage that BU was putting on the court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You cannot be serious!" - nice article Connell although it still wont let me on as anything other than anonymous. That Family Guy episode was a good one, also saw one yesterday that I loved where Stewie got a job following around fat people with a tuba, somewhat similar and equally hilarious.

    Playoffs have been hard to watch, especially as a Browns fan. I wont stomach the AFC Championship for obvious reasons. Great to see the Dawgs in the polls, period, especially as they are so young. But, check out Seth Davis' garbage today where he praises Butler as a program and is "in awe of them," yet this stooge didnt rank us in the top 25 poll. What a schmo.

    ReplyDelete