Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My ring tone says I'm cool

Let me preface this by first saying that it’s pretty clear how far from perfect I am when it comes to managing money. I’m working on it.

That said, for whatever reason, there are certain things that I simply refuse to spend money on. Most of them are stupid things (maybe less than five bucks) but it’s more just the concept that whatever the thing might be, I don’t really need it. But what’s important is what ends up making this list – it’s different for every person, and I’d think most people have some form of this rationality in your brain.

Just go with me here, this will all hopefully make sense in a minute. For example, one of the first things on my personal “I’m Not Spending Money On This List” is actually not a cheap item – it’s an iPod. I might be the one dude under 30 that doesn’t have one. It’s just something I’ve lived without, well, forever, so it doesn’t bother me. Why? Not worth the bare minimum of spending 200 bucks off the bat. I mostly listen to talk radio … I could go on with answers (excuses), but that’s not much fun.

Then there are small things on the list, fairly inconsequential when it comes down to it. Ever since I was the last one of my friends, and acquaintances, to get a cell phone when I was a sophomore in college, I have absolutely refused to pay money for ring tones. Come on, it’s just stupid. It’s a phone, and it rings, and you answer it. For 99 cents, I would rather do a lot of things – such as visit the Wendy’s dollar menu. Or just be happy with using whatever is on the phone when you get it, and being a dollar heavier.

Here’s the whole point: my buddy out in Arizona has always bought ring tones, and I’ve never really told him that I think it’s dumb. That all changed yesterday when he called me from his work phone, and then proceeded to play the classic bagpipes version of “Amazing Grace” that blows up every time I call him. Easily the best ring tone I have ever heard, hands down, and it frankly made me feel damn proud that it was mine. I’ve loved that song, and the bagpipes, since I was a wee lad. And it all culminated at 25 years old with my own bagpipe ring tone.

What I’m saying is that we all need to be flexible. I hated ring tones, and now a phone call from me sets off the best damn one in the land. So things on the “I’m Not Spending Money On This List” are capable of coming and going, but it’s rare.

It’s kind of like your own personal list of rules for betting/picking NFL playoff games: You have to remain flexible, literally all the way up until kickoff. I didn’t follow this rule last week and it cost me. This often happens when you make picks early in the week, like I’m about to below, and I’m just glad to have that excuse before I actually decide. Last week it cost me when I inexplicably bet on the Tavaris Jackson-led Vikings, and also right before kickoff of the Colts game when I realized they weren’t very good, on the road, and they would probably lose – even though I had already bet on them. What a terrible gut feeling. Should have remained flexible, should have remained flexible.

FUN PICKS FROM THE FUN CAR: NFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS
(Danny Sheridan’s odds; USAToday.com 1/7; Home team in caps)

TITANS (-3) over Ravens (Saturday, 4:30 p.m. ET)
Let’s just say that this would be the time to bet against a rookie QB (Joe Flacco) who is going on the road for the second straight week in his first playoff season. And Flacco’s Ravens are playing a team that’s, well, not only two steps up from Miami, but also better than them. The second reason I’m going to take the Titans would be the fact that I’ve got quite the soft spot for Jeff Fisher. It’s something that has developed over time, much like an appreciation for good hops and barley. If Norv Turner is Natural Light, then Jeff Fisher is, say, Stella or Oberon. When you have the choice, and have the extra buck and a half to spend on a pint, no question you’re asking for option No. 2. Hard to believe Fisher has been in the league for 37 years already. Perhaps it’s more around 15 years with the same franchise … but somehow he is still just 38 years old. Right?

Cardinals (+9.5) over PANTHERS (Saturday, 8:15 p.m. ET)
Arizona is not winning this game. Just to set that straight. But I just see this one being decided more in the four to seven point range. And to give credit where credit is due, I’m going to refer back to Bill Simmons’ Playoff Manifesto (his playoff betting rules, for those of you who don’t know or care). His deal is when a playoff line is 10 or more points, you take the points and just roll with it. I’m going to move forward with that theory here. Thanks Bill.

In other news, the Cardinals have stunk when traveling to the East Coast this season. Oh-and-five, to be exact:
L 24-17 @ Washington
L 56-35 @ NY Jets
L 27-23 @ Carolina
L 48-20 @ Philadelphia
L 47-7 @ New England

GIANTS (-4.5) over Eagles (Sunday, 1 p.m. ET)
The Eagles are getting a lot of love the past few weeks, and I can’t really figure out why. Feel free to try to explain it to me if you like. They were dead in the water, needed a combination over about nine different losses by other teams just to make the playoffs, and then beat a Minnesota team who started probably the second worst QB in the league. The lack of a meaningful running game in short-yardage situations will cost Philly in this game, unlike at Minnesota. The Giants will score enough points, maybe even a defensive TD, in a 20-13 game. I know Andy Reid’s stupidity didn’t used to cost his team until the conference title game, but this year it’s a week earlier.

Chargers (+6) over STEELERS (Sunday, 4:45 p.m. ET)
This is a make-up bet if I’ve ever seen one. I feel bad about not taking San Diego last week, I really do. I knew better than that. So, in the hopes of redemption, I’ll take the points in spite of an alarmingly decisive coaching advantage for the Steelers. That’s an understatement when Norv Turner is on the sidelines. Norv ... AKA, Natural Light. Still, though, I see a low scoring game where the points are too valuable to lay six. Come on, Norv, just don’t screw it up for me. I know that’s asking a lot.

5 comments:

  1. Apparently your terrible Michigan ringtone you have had for years was free. You need to spend money on some of that stuff we used to eat back in the day. Whats it called again? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LG Whistling Wizard ringtone is the best damn ringtone in the land, and it is 100% free. Bring on the Double Stack and/or Junior Bacon Cheeseburger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an iPod changed my life. get one. you heard it here first .... falcons/colts super bowl next year. the mike shannahan-led colts will gallop through the postseason, only to clash with league MVP Matt Ryan, the first quarterback to start all 16 games and beef less than 5 interceptions. do you ever feel guilty for living on my social security?

    ReplyDelete
  4. MC. D, Got that ring tone on tuneusin.com. It was free, and yes the coolest ring tone for my good, potato eating Irish friend. Anyway, get a job… then you really should think about getting an iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing worse then spending money on a terrible ring tone is spending money on a maze and gold winged stocking cap...gross...

    ReplyDelete